If you have questions, please contact the Assistant to the Associate Dean for Research.
Open to full-time CLAS tenure-track or tenured faculty, clinical faculty, lecturers, research scientists, research engineers, and other staff members for whom research, scholarship, and/or creative activity are assigned as one of their primary job responsibilities.
Subvention requests must be submitted to CLAS before the final manuscript goes to press.
Policy Purpose and Description
Recognizing that the cost of publication of scholarly books sometimes falls at least partially on the shoulders of the scholar, the Office of the Vice President for Research provides funding to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for creative and scholarly book subventions. These funds are prioritized for items essential to the production of the book, such as obligatory press subsidies, permissions, or indexes. Generally, the maximum award will be $2,500. Cost sharing from the applicant’s department is encouraged. There is no limit on how many awards an author may receive.
Subvention: the provision of assistance or financial support.
Your Request: Write a letter in which you:
- State the title of the book and the name of the press that has agreed to publish it.
- Briefly describe the book and its importance to the field.
- Indicate how much total subvention funding the press has requested and the reasons the press needs the subvention.
- Indicate how much you are seeking from the college.
- Indicate any other pending or confirmed sources of UI and external funding.
- Briefly explain why the press is an appropriate press to publish your book.
- Briefly describe how the press has advanced important scholarship in your field.
Supporting Documents: Include a copy of:
- The contract to publish your book.
- If the subvention need is not detailed in the book contract, a memo or a bill from the press specifying the amount and need (e.g., photographs, permissions, etc.) for the subvention funds.
- Email the request and supporting documents to your DEO (In PDF or Microsoft Word format) for approval.
- The DEO should write an endorsement of the request, including:
- The departmental financial contribution.
- The importance of the book to career development.
Submission to the college:
- The DEO should forward the application materials to the Assistant to the Associate Dean for Research, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean's Office.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often may an author apply for a book subvention?
Faculty may apply for a book subvention one time for each book they publish.
Are book projects that are self-published eligible for support?
Self-published projects are not eligible for a book subvention.