Purchase of Alcohol for University Activities

Director, Business & Financial Administration
Amended Date

Key Contacts

If you have questions, please contact your departmental accountant.


DEOs, Departmental Administrators, Departmental Accountants

Policy Purpose and Description





Alcoholic beverages cannot be purchased with state-appropriated funds. If a department wishes to use private funds to purchase alcohol for a function on university property, the alcoholic beverages must be provided by the Food Service of the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU), which administers the State of Iowa liquor license held by the Board of Regents. The alcohol may be served in designated non-academic buildings such as the Union, Hancher Auditorium, or the Museum of Art. Contact Banquets & Catering, 335-3110 or 335-3122 for help with the arrangements.

Occasionally, the University grants permission for the IMU to provide wine and beer service in approved areas of academic buildings for events that are developmental in nature and are not open to the public. The Dean must request this permission from the Vice President for Student Services. The DEO writes the Dean well in advance of the occasion specifying the day, time, location, and purpose of the function and those invited (e.g., faculty, alumni, graduate students). The Operations Manual V-26, contains the complete University guidelines for alcoholic beverage service. All alcohol expenditures must be approved by the Dean or their delegate.



Frequently Asked Questions


Related Information


Revision History