If you have questions, please contact the Associate Dean for Research.
All CLAS departments.
Policy Purpose and Description
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences allocates approximately $200,000 for instructional equipment each fiscal year. Instructional equipment includes the purchase, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any equipment that is necessary for the teaching of courses. Requests should not include computer/technology equipment that might be funded through Student Technology Fee allocations.
Instructional Equipment – purchase, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any equipment that is necessary for the teaching of courses. Instructional equipment does not include consumables such as chemicals, cleaning supplies, toner, paper, etc.
Departments should submit separate proposals for each instructional equipment request using the form provided by a date set by CLAS, usually in late September.
In order to support the evaluation of proposals, each request must include the following:
- Equipment requested, including rationale for why it is needed
- Educational goal met by the equipment and expected utilization
- Age of current equipment and plans for alternate use or disposal
- Alternatives explored
- Estimated or actual cost of the new equipment (including shipping and installation) or repair of existing equipment
- Other sources of funding within the department or university
- Anticipated maintenance and operations costs
Requests for multiple items must be prioritized by the DEO.
Requests using the form should be submitted to the CLAS Director of Facilities by the established deadline. Emergency requests for equipment or repair may be made at any time.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Associate Dean for Research.
Instructional equipment allocations will be made to the department’s instructional equipment MFK (grant/program 5-2583500, org 330).
Allocated funds must be spent in the same fiscal year.
Frequently Asked Questions